20231023

Friday December 23, 1983

 Butcher's Arms, Pudsey

Back to the Butcher's Arms at 9 where I 'bottled up' surrounded by yapping dogs. Rob had been up until 2am watching TV. Very busy until 3pm. I opened up at 11 and two staff came in at 12. Pudsey people are, in the main, very tolerant good humoured types. Ally feeling fat and uncomfortable and acting peculiarly. Is this it? Home at 4 and collected the turkey (10lb 4oz) costing £5.00. Spent £43 on booze. Phoned Geoff at the Emmott Arms to say I am ignoring him today and not going over to Rawdon. I also phoned Chris at the 'Lion Rouge'. He tells me almost casually that he is in mourning for his brother, apparently a mentally handicapped Cornish person, living in an institution, who choked to death yesterday on an early Christmas lunch. _______. He and Mrs Wills are going to the funeral on Tuesday/Wednesday and he suggested that I might be called upon to take up the mantle of responsibility at Girlington in his absence. No bloody fear. My phone comes off the hook tomorrow. Ally tearful and 'edgy'. This evening the pub was dead and I stood, glass in hand, until 11:30. Rob drives Ally into a coma. He is such a bore. Kath is a smart, prim little thing, but nicer than I have previously thought.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...