20231113

Sunday January 15, 1984


 2nd Sunday after Epiphany

5, Club Street, Lidget Green, Bradford

Bessie woke me at 9 to say Ally had just phoned to say she can leave the hospital between 10 and 10:30. Elation. I scurried around stripping the double bed and putting the bedding into the washing machine. Bessie ran around with a duster and we sat with tea and toast. Frank's cold continues. He is glum. We sat looking out at the snow and debate whether the car will make it through. If I have to hire a husky and three mountain sherpas I'll see my wife and son at home today so help me. We went at 10 and found Ally looking wonderful packing up the tons of knitwear offerings. I made three trips to the car with the floral offerings. Finally, at 10:30 a nurse carried our son downstairs and we drove home in something of a blizzard. At Club St I carried Samuel from the car and into the house. A splendid, unforgettable moment. We snapped around with the camera and I took lots of shots of Samuel with his Grandma Dixon. Bessie was over the moon. Frank wouldn't touch the baby because of his cold, silly because the poor infant must be breathing in the germs. Soup and sandwiches. Lynn, Dave and the girls arrived at about 2, and Frank and Bessie set off home at 2:30 into the white and oblivion. Poor Bessie hates living so far away. They phoned at 7 to say they were safely home. They have spoiled us since Thursday. Busy afternoon. Sister Matthews came to inspect Ally. Lynn left just after 4. Katie is most definately no longer a baby. If she'd been a boy she would have been Samuel Lawrence.

 (Gynaecological redaction). 

The snow disappeared when they hit Northamptonshire. Mum phoned too. They are coming in the week. Watched The Thorn Birds. Stupid. Ally slept. Saw the news. Prince Edward has glandular fever. Tony Benn is to stand for Chesterfield. Samuel had hiccoughs for the first time and was sick.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...