20231113

Tuesday January 17, 1984

 5, Club Street, Lidget Green, Bradford

Bitterly cold, slushy. I went out to buy some copies of the YP. Samuel's birth is in both papers today. I collected Samuel's Konakion injection from the chemist. Dr Duck wants sister Matthews to administer it. We received a large knitted shawl from Auntie Mabel, and cards from her, from Sarah and Delia, and Auntie Annie, in Colne. I phoned Nellie Rhodes to tell her we have another Samuel (the father of the twins was a Samuel Rhodes, who died in 1928). Nellie says Edna fell last week and broke a leg. Auntie Hilda phoned and spoke to Ally, and I think she was surprised to find her at home and not in hospital. We can now expect a deluge of visitors. I don't mind. It will be great to show Samuel off. 

Useless information: Francis Pym, the ex-foreign secretary was presented with a grandson of the same name born on Jan 11. No important babies have arrived on the same day as Samuel. He is utterly unique. Today he is dressed in blue and as he lays asleep he has a Rhodes look about him. Probably the infant JPH springs to mind. I will have to consult my albums.

Sister Matthews came in a flurry of snow looking like a female Santa Claus and she bathed and weighed Samuel. He wasn't at all disturbed by the water but scowled and frowned when stripped of his nappy. Marita phoned. We have pinched her name. Samuel is on her list of baby names. I went out and bought an EP for the announcement. Other children have such ghastly modern names. The girls are all Leanne Louise and the boys Darren. Hopeless. Very tired tonight. I fried liver and onions, Yorkshire puddings, &c. 'Dallas' was on but we didn't watch. Ally phoned Auntie Mabel, Harry Miller, Gill (who says Philip and Carol are expecting issue in June or July), then Bessie phoned us. She's been buying again. Samuel must be one of the best dressed children in the western world. Bessie believes in spending her money while she can. I hold by that. To bed at 11. Baby was restless. Ally blames her 'faffing' and we didn't sleep before 2. Dirty nappies abound. Samuel howled and only stopped when over my shoulder. I paced the bedroom to give Ally a break.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...