20231117

Thursday January 19, 1984

 5, Club Street, Lidget Green, Bradford

Before I forget - Samuel had his vitamin K injection yesterday. He was very brave and only squealed once. He was fed in the middle of the night and then slept until 7. I went out into the frost and ascended Paternoster Lane to collect a prescription for eye drops. Samuel has a weepy left eye which has matted. I slid around in the ice with all the folk heading out to work. What a blessing it is that I no longer have to battle my way into Leeds every day as in days of old. We had a leisurely breakfast sat at the table. Eating off trays does become a habit. In the middle of our repast a midwife appeared with a male nurse, and because of this my Rice Krispies went soggy. Sister Matthews gave Samuel his eye drops and inspected his umbilicle cord which bled slightly. It should have fallen off by now. Later, I added my son to the family tree. He is the fourth Samuel Rhodes in a line going back to about 1840. The last is of course my poor cousin Samuel ____________. 

We ate odds and ends and couldn't be bothered cooking anything. Ally had a fit of giggles writing to her aunts thanking them for presents. She was amused at some of the suggestions thrown in by me. Eventually she turned out a couple of run of the mill lettters. I went out to buy a loaf and a birthday card for Graham Smith. Ally phoned Charlotte Smith, who was delighted at our news. Isobel is three feet tall. Is this gigantic? Have the Smiths produced a monster? Ally then phoned Marlene. We were visited by Mary Moore and then John arrived at 8. He was without Janette. They have fallen out again. Saw 'Top of the Pops'. Paul McCartney is at the top. Saw David Attenborough on a mountain top. It would have looked nice in colour. Also watched James Fox play Orwell. An odd fish. Upstairs Ally fed Samuel all night. John, who left at 11, didn't touch the baby. Samuel is too tiny. 

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...