20240618

Wednesday June 27, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds

Bright sun. The third anniversary of our marriage. At 7am my phone was ringing and my head was aching. It was Mum to say Sue is in labour. Today's the day. Back to bed - alone - for a bit more eye shut. (Auntie) Mabel phoned at 9 to say happy anniversary. By now I was supping coffee and shoveling paracetamols. Ally is awake and cheerful. The call came again at about 12:30 in the middle of lunches. Mum says Sue had a baby boy at 12:12pm  weighing 8lb 8oz, and he is Benjamin James. How fabulous. Later we went to Guiseley but found nobody at home. Shopping in Yeadon and Guiseley. To West End Terrace tonight. Mum continues to be tetchy and I suspect  she has had a difference of opinion with Lynn, though nothing was said. Peter was quiet as ever. They all baby sat at 7 and Ally and I took Peter to Leeds and had an hour with Sue and Benjamin, a clone of Christopher and every inch a Nason. ___ Afterwards we went to the Emmott Arms, plush yet lifeless. We were spotted by the relief manageress, a Diana Dors look-alike. On to the Station Hotel. Back at No. 23 (West End Terrace) the place was packed with Rhodeses and Nasons. David B in his suit. No Lynn. Samuel was fed and then Ally and I - just the two of us - went to the Hare & Hounds. What a day.  Home late.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday October 15, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Phoned Horton and spoke to my prodigal parents. Ally has to go to the brewery next week on a food hygiene course and I...