20181120

Saturday June 23, 1979

John phoned and woke us at 10am with the news that Maria had given birth to a baby girl at 6:30 this morning. Both are well. The little mite weighed in at four and a half pounds. He was very tired and overjoyed. I have a tiny, little niece!

Phoned Auntie Hilda who says she is going out to buy pink wool. I tried to speak to Auntie Mabel but got no response.

A wet thundery day. Mum and Dad phoned at lunchtime. I exclaimed: "Well, hello, granddad". He was so excited and had no idea the baby had arrived. "Come on then, which is it?" Mum was thrilled but so frustrated to be down in Devon.

Sue and Pete went out at 8:30 and at 9 Ally and I went to the New Inn at Headingley, and then the Regent at Chapel Allerton. Jacq was in the Regent with her new fellow house mate and Sarah was with Richard Burke, Carol J and Marilyn Wheeler, &c. We went back to Jacq's where I spoke to Cheryl up from London. She began lecturing me about relationships and asked me not to be put off by her, or afraid of her! ____________. By about 4am things got a bit silly and Jacq poured beer all over me. _____________. Paul calmed us down and the dance music on the record player was replaced by Debussy's Clair De Lune, the 'Wedding March' by Mendelsohn, and the bloody Elizabethan Serenade for Chrissake. Eammon Burke was chatting up Ally and invited her out next Tuesday. He told her that her brown eyes were the most beautiful he'd ever seen. Pass the sick bag.

The sun was shining brilliantly by 8am, and we were still drinking. Paul, Jacq, Ally and I were discussing something now lost in the mist of alcohol. A neighbour, clad in the regalia of a bus conductor, came over and told us to keep the noise down. Perhaps he'd been watching us with binoculars. I had now changed into a 'House of Holroyd' shirt because my own clothes had been destroyed by Jacq's fury. She went up to bed and Ally and I drove home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...