20201010

Friday January 30, 1981

 _. A day of recovery at Lidget Green. Phoned the office at 8:30 and asked Sarah for cut flowers only, preferably orchids, and definitely no mourning. Ally went off in Audrey Citroen to the AHA and I sat listening to ghastly Radio 1, reading Agatha Christie. Later I had a bath, and ironed my jeans, and banged the hot iron down on my left hand. I didn't like it. 

Ally came home at 4. We packed the car, dashed to Leeds and collected the rings. The engagement ring is perfect. On to Winchester. Thick fog and ice after Northampton. We had to stop at Brackley for Ally to compose herself.

Walked in Chillandham Cross at 11. Frank is fogged up in Guernsey until tomorrow, and so we broke the news to Bessie, who had been warned of a coming surprise by Ally on the blower this afternoon. She was pleased, in her own sweet way. Graham & Gill fully expected it. Had a whisky. Bed at 1am.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...