20201120

Sunday March 1, 1981

 _. Quinquagesima ~ St David's Day

Rain melts the snow. Catherine Brook phoned to ask if Ally and I would like to join them for a drink at Bingley at 12:30. We made a hurried visit to Club Street where we erected the bunk beds, and then went to join Catherine and David, who got engaged yesterday. I can never remember the name of the pub in Bingley, near the parish church. Is it the White Horse? Felt quite pissed by 2pm. We don't do much drinking in the afternoon these days.

Onward at 2pm to Meanwood and Anne Goodyear's  so-called Eisteddfod party in celebration of St David's Day. Got hopelessly plastered on red wine and made the usual spectacle of myself. Leeks poking provacatively from the fly of my trousers, &c. My last recollection was cuddling Anne's large stuffed gorilla, a fine piece of taxidermy. We left at about 7:30 and after some disagreement in the car I got out on the Headrow, only to be found some time later down on Kirkstall Rd near YTV. Ally spotted me in a phone box and swerved across the road to collect me. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Instead of going home we drove to the Hermit at Burley Woodhead. Back at Club Street for 10:30.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...