20210428

Friday December 4, 1981

 _.Have a thick head and feel something coming on. I usually succumb to the cold in December. Sad reflections about poor Jim Glynn. He was permanently cold, no doubt because of his heart condition, always rubbing his hands together warming them, before the gas fire, even in summer, and even when the fire was not actually lit, and only a figment of his imagination.

Kathleen came back into the office after her lunch break with a bottle of whisky and we sat at our desks sipping Scotch from our pot mugs. Better than the office tea. The girls became giggly, red-faced and flushed. Pathetic really. I erected the sad little office Christmas tree, making the usual predictable jokes about balls, which gave a staggering Kathleen some belly laughs.

On at 5 to Rawdon and my dentist, but was out on the street within minutes. My teeth require no treatment, and he doesn't want to see me again until June 4.

Back to Ally. Graham and Charlotte Smith rolled in at 8. We dined. Afterwards the pregnant Charlotte sprawled in an arm chair, clutching a hot water bottle, and throwing in the occasional grunt. The baby, if a boy, is to be Hugo. Poor little sod. Graham did his 'dead man lying on the floor' routine. They took over our bedroom, which I resent, and we had bunk beds. Suddenly I feel old.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...