20220222

Thursday May 27, 1982

 The captain of HMS Coventry is a brother-in-law of Richard Luce, MP, who resigned last month along with Lord Carrington at the start of the Falklands crisis. Funny, eh?

Pay day. Brought home £143 for two weeks, which isn't the sum I thought it would be. I have had a pay rise of about £6 before tax. Pathetic but acceptable in these trying times of war and recession. 

I gave Geoff Hemingway another tip. Reuben Straker, of a Burke's Landed Gentry family, has become engaged to Sophie Kimball, once a flat-mate of the Princess of Wales. The Strakers hang out near York.

At home: excitment about our holiday. I seems such a long time since we had a break. Packed and went to bed reasonably early. 

The Beaconsfield by-election took place today but I've seen nothing about it. The Falklands news has sunk the SDP as well as the General Belgrano.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...