20230215

Thursday February 17, 1983

 I stood at the window watching Ally at her bus stop. She couldn't wave because she was standing next to a funny man with a beard. 

I went to the YP and told Kathleen I want to see the financial director to see how much severance pay I am due. Carol had been yesterday to get her claim in first. Up with the chief K hears that they will take two volunteers from the library. Poor Sarah was glum all day. A festive air hung over the editorial floor. Everyone wants to go. People all over the office are talking about buying 'a guest house in Kendal'. The EP feature writers are considering buying a fish and chip shop. Sadly, the newspapers to wrap them in will be scarce.

Derek (Jenkins) hasn't discussed Ally's day off. He is no doubt keeping it for another day. He does like to spring things on her. Ally looked washed out. We talked about redundancy. The thing with me is that I've had such a dull ten years and have taken no risks since packing in school at 18. Take the money and run is my feeling on this, and I want so much to run. Come on Mr Sutcliffe, give us a job!

Two certificates have arrived. Ruth Allen Upton, my grandmother, was born at 11, Green Wall, Lewes, Sussex, on September 3, 1900. We, and she, always celebrated her birthday on August 31. _______. She was registered on Oct 16 1900. Dad had a fit. For 48 years he has been celebrating his mum's birthday on the wrong day. The other certificate is the marriage of my great-grandparents John Wilson and Rella Fawbert at Calverley Parish Church on May 2, 1874. The marriage was witnessed by John William Patchett, who on the census is the son of Edward Fawbert, and thus Rella's half brother. Robert Rendell was the other witness to the marriage. 

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...