20230801

Thursday April 28, 1983

 Steve O'Connor and a man in a pom pom hat came at 7:30 and started stripping the roof and throwing the debris down onto the ground. I sat at my typewriter listening to the crashing. The weather was foul and they went over the road to the Second West for the afternoon leaving rolls of felt and a sweeping brush on the roof. Ally came home and looked at the roof in horror, but I was assured by Mr O'Connor that the rain will not come in. We went across to the Co-op and spent £12 on a few vital provisions. We ate funny pieces of fish in sauce out of plastic bags, and feel ashamed for this weakening for convenience foods, which are in fact most inconvenient. The plastic bags proved difficult to open and I showered parsley sauce all over the kitchen. 

I despatched a birthday card to Valley Rd Pudsey for Jill, who is 21 tomorrow. __________. I also sent John a list of family birthdays and anniversaries, because he always forgets them. In some respects John has a perfect memory. He can tell you the day that Rod Stewart's 'Maggie May' reached number one, and so why can he not remember the birthday of a niece?

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...