20230817

Thursday May 12, 1983

 Ascension Day

Pouring bloody rain again. Eggs and kisses. I watched Ally at her bus stop where she peeped from under my black umbrella.

I made a loaf of bread which looks good. Sarah phoned to ask how to address a lady councillor who is the widow of a baronet. I say 'Councillor Diana, Lady Ingilby'. She went off in a hurry but said she'd speak to me later.

Ally phoned and we discussed the format for when she should visit her doctor. I phoned the surgery at Paternoster Lane. ___________. The rain stopped. I got a bus and met Ally at the hospital. I told her she now has to begin the urine sample racket again. I am trying desperately not to become too excited by all this, as we have been through it before, in '81. We went along to the Co-op and spent one hour and £9 on a few provisions. We left and walked slowly back down the road. Her lunch time back ache is raging. Derek is being thoughtful about it all and had a nice chat with Ally this morning. I had to run for a bus down Squire Lane, heavily laden with six carrier bags, and was home for 1:45.

The Prince and Princess of Wales are home from the sun scorched island of (blank) with the Romseys. Both women are like bean poles. I expect the announcement of another royal pregnancy in eight weeks. Watch this space. The Daily Telegraph reveals that the shadow cabinet took only an hour yesterday to decide upon their manifesto. Obviously, a lot of thought has gone into it.  An amusing betrothal in the social columns. A granddaughter of the last Lord Trent has become engaged to a Mr Kumaramangalam. It sounds like a sexually transmitted disease. 

Sarah phoned again. Just to chat. No news.

Tonight Ally finds no comfort with her aching back. She laid flat on the floor with her head upon a cushion, but it wasn't a success. We went upstairs and upon the bed I rubbed her back which brought her some comfort.

David G phoned. Very bad because I seldom phone him. He says that Garry has found a girlfriend and they have been inseparable for three weeks. We laughed. On the very first date he took her home and was invited in for 'coffee'. The Nescafe was still warm when she whispered in his ear: "come on. We are going to bed". She dragged him upstairs leaving her mother, quite unperturbed, watching Terry Wogan's late show. Dave added that Billy is off work and depressed. We went off to bed at 10. Too tired.

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...