20230817

Thursday May 19, 1983

Dexy's Midnight Runners

 A glorious, historic day of joy. We had breakfast attempting to think pessimistically so to lessen the disappointment. I spent a fretful morning chewing my finger nails and pacing the room. Steve O'Connor sends a man to do the pointing. He looks like someone who has escaped from Strangeways. Ally came in at 12 and immediately phoned the doctor before taking off her coat. The waiting seemed an eternity. I stood in the kitchen cringeing, but what a delight to hear that her urine sample is positive and Ally is well and truly pregnant. We fell onto the settee in a state of shock. Hard to believe. Ally went back to the AHA and told Patricia and Derek (who says 'this is a very special time'). I snatched up my cheque book and marched into Bradford smiling at old ladies, patting dogs, and bouncing with glee. I suppose they all thought that I am perhaps a prospective parliamentary candidate. I bought Ally a large glossy baby book for £7.95 in WH Smith's and the Dexy's Midnight Runners LP. I tore round town on a cloud. I wanted to scream my news from the rooftops. I came home on the bus and wrapped her presents in gay, floral paper, and deposited them atop the wardrobe. But first I played the Dexy's LP to ensure it was in pristine condition. I posted a birthday card to Isobel Clara Smith, who is one on Saturday, and sent invitations to Jim, Margaret, Hilda and Tony for our general election supper. Ally came in at 5:10 still stunned and we ate a large fish pie swamped in cheese sauce. We wanted to share our news. Should we phone Bessie? No, we resisted. She later sat with her feet up and with a cup of cocoa complaining about the noise made by Top of the Pops. 

We went to bed at 9:30.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...