20230822

Tuesday May 31, 1983

 Sunshine. Slept until 10. Mr O'Brien phoned and asked us to return to Tadcaster on Friday at 3pm. Ally is horrified at this date until she remembered that Derek is off and she only has Patricia 'to get round'. I went out for a newspaper. The YP looks thin. The palace is denying that the Princess of Wales is pregnant. It is only a matter of time.

Ally padded around all morning in a dressing gown. Over cheese on toast we discussed why we want a pub. I then sat and watched her take a bath. ______________. 

We set out at 3 and arrived at the Tetley HQ at 4:15. Just in time. We sat in the lobby surrounded by silver cups which have down the years been awarded to the great dray horses. Ally admired the quaint lift. We went in and saw a Mr Drake. It was a waste of time really because although he approved of us and found that our personalities were not wanting he could not pass us on to see an area manager because of my non-existent bar experience. So why the hell did they bother interviewing us when they could clearly see from our application form that I am green and inexperienced? I also didn't like the way that everything at Tetley's is geared towards the man whilst Ally and her experience was brushed aside. Sam Smith's on the other hand regard the man and wife as a a joint inseparable partnership with one joint wage. At Tetley's I would receive £5,500 per annum, and Ally £1,500. We left after 20 minutes and returned to Bradford. We do not feel glum. If  I returned to Tetley's after having 6 months bar experience I think we'd crack them. Ate spaghetti. Ally eating a green ice lolly and then taking great pleasure showing me her green tongue. Phoned Mum. Sue and Peter are staying at Horton for a few days. They have been busy and had a visit from the Scottish branch of the family - just recovering from German measles. They also had Lynn, David, Hilda and Tony yesterday. Tony is working in Edinburgh and might not be back for our June 9 spectacular but will try. Dad is preparing to paint and needs all the help he can get. Saw Mrs Thatcher interviewed by Robin Day. She is so dynamic. I do love our PM.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...