20231016

Monday November 28, 1983

 5, Club Street, Lidget Green, Bradford

Red Lion, Thornton Rd, Bradford 8.
Sunshine. Up at dawn and wallowed in hot baths. Nervous. A change of pub is like changing to a new planet because they are all like individual worlds once one is inside. Ally dropped me off at the pub at 9:20 and I went in to see Chris, Elaine and Les Gledhill, who didn't stay long and left after the niceties. I stood at the bar with a drink for much of the afternoon because they had made sure that plenty of staff would be working on change-over day. Chris & Elaine left at 1 and I was left holding the fort. The barmaids are pleasant and seem very reliable. Enid, small, middle-aged and blond with a loud giggle, and Jean Boswell, known as 'Bossy', small, fat, and domineering, but pleasant with it. The cook, Sheryl, thinks she's Delia Smith and fancies herself. Ally came at 2 and we had lunch together. I worked from 5:30 to 8 without staff. It was a pool match night from 8 and I was joined by Rita. Some of the lads wanted to start a game of pool at 11 and I put my foot down and refused to allow it. One pissed individual called me all the names under the sun, but left peaceably. Ally was upstairs watching the 'colour' TV.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...