20231016

Friday December 2, 1983

 Red Lion, Thornton Road, Four Lane Ends, Bradford 8

I got up at 6:45 to prepare the cellar for the draymen who can arrive at any time between 7am and noon. Felt tetchy because the newsagent wouldn't give me a Daily Telegraph and instead I came away with a boring Daily Mail. Bought milk at the Co-op next door to make Ally's breakfast but the draymen arrived and we didn't eat until 10:30. A pleasant lunchtime. The afternoons here are such a relief after the hideous Why Not. How can anyone successfully manage that place? I think Tim told us that the London couple had backed out. Good old Bradford people take a lot of beating. Good, honest, hard working Yorkshire folk. Ally and I went to the bank (it's near the university and a stones throw from the place where Sutcliffe murdered Barbara Leach). The cashier is called P.F.N. Bruntlett. (Just thought I'd record his name for posterity). At 3:30 we made a quick visit to our home. Letters await us from the bank, something to do with our tax relief on our home loan repayments. We currently pay £115 a month and this could drop to £85 in April. Phoned Susie and invited ourselves over there on Friday. This evening I worked 5:30 - 11:30. The customers take a long time quitting the place. Sheryl and Rita say it's been a quiet night when in fact the takings are better than any other Friday in months. Chris Wills is very much an absentee landlord. Elaine spends all her time playing the organ. 

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...