20200401

Thursday November 29, 1979

_. Took a half day and met Ally in Leeds at 12:15. We went to see Dame Edna at the Keyboards shop on the Headrow where 'she' is signing copies of 'her' new song book. The fans and photographers were clamouring round but Ally and I were well positioned and I managed to shake the great Dame by the hand. Blimey, I will never wash my grubby little paw again. The cameras from 'Look North' recorded the event and at 6pm we actually appeared on TV but we failed to tune in.

Shopping later Ally bought five or six Christmas presents, you know, the usual Marks and Spencer pullovers, revolting nylon shirts for her tasteless brother. An LP for Andrew and a frilly nightie for Mrs D. I bought a soft, cuddly dog for Catherine and a sepia print for Lynn & David.

On to Lidget Green for a peculiar dinner which included half a pound of cheese. I fear we are turning into rodents. On to the Drop, then Pine Tops. With Mum, Dad, Jim and Margaret. Ally and I sat snuggled together with an old pamphlet of speeches given by King George V during his silver jubilee year in 1935. So romantic.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...