20200507

Monday April 7, 1980

_. Bank Holiday in England, Ireland & Wales

Warm day. I spent what seemed like hours in Guiseley waiting for a bus. The roads were deserted. The journey to Leeds gave me the feeling of how things will be the seconds after a nuclear attack.

It was a pointless day at the YP. For a couple of hours we played cards and drank tea reminiscent of British Leyland workers. At 3 I made my escape and secured safe passage to Guiseley by omnibus.

Poor Ally is working day and night at the Belfry, Bolton Junction, for a sizeable fortune, I believe. The usual Bank Holiday trash on the TV. Old films and panel games. Sue and Pete went out with Chippy and Deborah, and I sat with Mum and Dad in a lifeless sitting room, Fred Astaire prancing around on the box. I find tap dancing very irritating. At 10:30 we settled down to 'Some Like It Hot' starring Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon. Still hilarious after 20 years.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...