20200727

Monday December 1, 1980

_. Hideous day of suspense, fear and agony. Climbed out of bed at 6:45 with the feeling that this was to be my last morning on God's earth. Took a lingering look at the view from my window, a final look. Nothing of interest but the temperate milkman making his way through the drizzle with his crates. Missed my lift with JR and got a lift to Leeds with David [from a house halfway down Hawksworth Lane] and his silent brother. I found it odd that when the news came on Pennine Radio and mention was made of the Yorkshire Ripper he immediately tuned into Dave Lee Travis on Radio One. Surely, he is the only man in Yorkshire not interested in 'Jack'? Or perhaps he is Jack?

To Rawdon at 5 for my dreaded session with the dentist. Jim Rawnsley was on the bus. He smashed his car beyond recognition in Horsforth on Nov 21. Thankfully, Jennie was spared. At the dentist I had an odious filling which cost me £8. Home at 6:15 with Papa. Numb and lifeless. Me, not Papa.

Mum and Dad went to Hilda's. I ate at 9:30. Bed at 11:30 with Thomas Hardy.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...