20210622

Monday December 14, 1981

 Deep snow which blocked most of the local roads. I'm sitting at Club Street. An eerie silence from the road outside which is usually packed with vehicles.

Up at 6:30. Ally walked to the AHA. No buses, so I phoned Margot to give the YP a miss. Sarah phoned later, just to check up on me. Susan phoned for all the gossip from Stockport.

Club Street.
I went next door to see Ethel Greenwood,who was sitting in a chair next to her bed.She was delighted to see someone. Her son Sammy cannot visit because of the snow. She gave me 'six shillings' to buy her a loaf of bread, and asked me to make her bed, which I did gladly. She does repeat herself a lot, but she's very good for 93. 

My snow-clearing was buried beneath fresh snowfall, and a thick blanket was spread over Lidget Green by the time Ally came in. 

We had a disagreement about opening Auntie Elsie's Christmas present, and quarrelled for a few hours. It's depressing to fall out, and a rarity these days.

My wife has given me a beautiful Christmas card. _________.

To bed with hot chocolate. The news is dominated by Poland. Such a bore. Switched off the TV and went to bed with Stanley Baldwin. I suppose it's work for me tomorrow.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...