20210622

Saturday December 19, 1981

Dickensian?
 Deep and crisp and even. Up very early and left Ally clad in her pale blue nightie. Walked to Charlie Brown's at Girlington and bought a car battery costing £24. The walk was something reminiscent of a lunchtime in a Russian labour camp.

A bright, crisp, and almost Dickensian day. Send for Nicholas Nickleby.

Back at Club Street I inserted the new battery and, as if by divine intervention, old Norman from across the road came staggering past and he took an immediate interest in Audrey's spark plugs, and he fiddled around helpfully. He gave life to the hapless vehicle. I am eternally in his debt. How can we thank him? He walked away in the deep snow with a look of my dear Uncle Albert stamped all over him.

Ally and I to Morrison's. Spend a king's ransom on party food. On to Lazenby's at 11pm. [Tony] Harney was violently sick and collapsed in the bathroom. Otherwise a quiet party. Home at 2am.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...