20221117

Wednesday December 22, 1982

 Shortest Day

I'm not feeling 100 per cent. 

Hasn't 1982 been a momentous year? Prince William, Koo Stark, the Falklands War, Princess Grace of Monaco, the loss of Arthur Askey, tumbling inflation, 76,000,000 unemployed. I had no dental treatment all year.

To Guiseley at 7:30 with a sack of presents. Mum and Dad have a new car, a Renault 5, which is four years old, and formerly the motor of Mr Webster, a YP printer. John made a flying visit and beat a retreat, after looking at his presents, to see Chris and Pete. Carol J saw John last night in the White Hart at Pool with an unidentified lady, clearly the mental nurse Janet. (She's a nurse who looks after mental patients at High Royds Hospital, not mental herself of course). He is a lad, my brother.

Swapped gifts with the Nasons and devoured pies and sandwiches. We kissed goodbye until after the festivities. On to Thorpefields where Lynn and Dave were listening to Christmas carols around the plastic tree. I would never have thought it of them. The tree that is. Swapped gifts here too and left at 12. Shattered. Despite all the criticism I think that the Pantry (as I call the Lada) goes very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...