20230217

Tuesday March 1, 1983

 St David's Day

Spring is in the air. I left Ally at 8 laden with piles of wet washing. Sunshine today. Mrs Slocombe is off having cosmetic surgery and no doubt be back tomorrow looking like Nancy Reagan. Sarah was glum for most of the day. _________. I went to look for (birthday) presents for Lynn and Dave at lunchtime and found myself in a junk shop. Junk immediately springs to mind when one thinks of the Bakers. They love old retro stuff. Phoned Ally and spoke in sweet whispers.

Home: sandwiches. Ally ironed. I brewed lager and looked at some stagnant wine. The lemon wine has been in the demijohn since January, 1982.

News: The Queen's tour of the USA has been messed up by rotten weather. The storms are so bad that the Royal Yacht is incapacitated. How many US presidents has the Queen seen off in her reign? I think that Ronald Reagan is her eighth. I can never remember whether Truman or Eisenhower came first. You cannot beat the coninuity of monarchy, can you? Nancy Reagan might be the bees knees in 1983 but where will she be in 1989? The Queen must have a good laugh about the comings and goings over the Atlantic. The miners are now coming out in force now that the water workers are nicely back. ______.

Wrote to Sam Smith's brewery at Tadcaster and squabbled with Ally about it. I'm an awkward writer when not writing foolishly or passionately. Watched a play on the BBC. Bed at 10:40.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...