20230217

Thursday February 24, 1983

Ruth & Albert (not the image mentioned)

 I was wallowing in the bath and Ally came bounding up the stairs with a letter from Auntie Annie Kirk containing a bundle of photographs from various Rhodes occasions spanning the decades. One of Uncle John's first wedding (to Betty) with poor Grandma Rhodes looking seriously ill. (It was the year she died, I think), and a splendid 1930s/40s portrait of Grandma and Granddad Rhodes, a tatty little sepia print, which I took to Betty at YP photo sales who made me a copy neg and a couple of prints for £4.50. I shall present one to Papa. Photos of Albert and Ruth are incredibly rare. I feel very pleased with myself for landing it. Auntie Annie says that when she is gone it would only have been thrown away.

Ally had a rewarding afternoon speaking to a Mr Tarbuck at Whitbreads and tonight we compiled a letter to the pleasant little man asking for an application form. Then, feeling particularly snoopy, we went on foot to the Traveller's Rest on Duckworth Lane (a Whitbread's training pub) where we sat watching the bar staff through great billowing coulds of smoke. We detest tobacco fumes, but that's a thing we'll have to learn to die with, I suppose. After two pints of Stella I felt and looked pissed. We have decided to go to Horton on Saturday by bus. I must ring Mama tomorrow. Fish and chips from over the road and then Sir Robin Day on the BBC. A.J.P. Taylor is a gas. Bed after 11.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...