20230315

Tuesday March 15, 1983

 Ally had an egg and I didn't. Eggs can be repetitive. I feel very proud to admit that I haven't yet watched Breakfast TV. I saw Frank Bough for five seconds on the day it all started, but since then we have resisted the urge. It will never catch on. 

Today is Budget Day - a day I find chronically boring. At one time I would have found some interest in the chancellor's little shuffle with the economy but I have grown now to realise it means nothing. I object to the sight of a little fat stockbroker from 'the City' coming on the evening news to tell me that I am going to be 63p a week 'better off'. Who cares? However, one so-called pundit said with some confidence that the general election will take place on June 16, 1983. Poppycock. If Mrs Thatcher goes to the country before October then I am the Earl of Euston.

Kathleen was a bit of a pain. Getting in a state I think about the soon-to be-decrease in her work force. She says she wouldn't be surprised if Irvine Crawford was to take over the Library operations one day, after she has gone. Mike Hickling came in and asked when the 'piss-up' is to take place to celebrate my departure. Michael Brown says he might join me. He is sick of writing about church unity. He has been writing about it for ten long years, and Rome is still no nearer. Carol will be freed on March 25, and I can leave after that. Mrs Slocombe's 'Nancy Reagan-like' surgery hasn't had the desired effect and she's now more like Margaret Lockwood in The Wicked Lady, only fatter. 

I left at 12 and took a half-day. Piglet had made a stew. The newspapers are full of pictures of the Waleses with the infant prince, some in sickly technicolour. Ally thinks the lad is like his mama. They go to Australia on Friday, and if the thought of bush fires and and starving packs of singed marsupials isn't enough, they will have to contend with Mr Hawke and his revolting Labour administration. Diana will win 'em all over, though. Ally went upstairs to prepare Mr Glynn's suite and I was left twiddling my thumbs. I did have some ale bottling to do. I have chipped the enamel on the sink again. We shall have to have it seen to. Ally gloomy about this.

-=-



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...