20230315

Wednesday March 16, 1983

 A hysteric day at the YP. Arrived to find a cheque for £25 from Derek Foster. I think I have Bob Cockroft to thank for this. I went out to Carlo & Jeffrey and had my haircut for £4.50. I was 'seen to' by a silent person strongly resembling Eartha Kitt. I am happy with it. I bought the 12' single of Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean'. 

Back at the office I have a note tucked into my typewriter reading: 'Armageddon, April 8.' The date of my severance. Austin-Clarke phoned Kathleen whilst I was under the scissors and he asked her when I wanted to go, and she said April 8 because it was the first date that came into her head. I will be so glad to go, I have had enough of the whole business. 

At 5:30 I went to Bradford and met Dave G in the interchange. Through the drizzle to Lidget Green. Ally has bought Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'. She seldom buys records. We had a chicken and mushroom pie washed down with our own apple wine which was very acceptable. Dave was itching to go out and at 9:30 we walked up to the Fiddlers' Three for a few post-prandials. The wind was blowing like hell. We discussed pubs, bars, breweries and beer. Ally has a logical brain, and I have not. Home for cheese on toast and coffee. We watched the football. Liverpool were beaten.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...