20230315

Monday March 14, 1983

 Lynn phoned Mum today to say that Audrey is conscious and talking to the boys but is very quiet. She was in collison with Simon M______, son of the owner of R_____ P____. It will be something of a miracle if Mrs B recovers.

To the YP. Saw Geoff and gave him my particulars. He raised his eyebrows in amazement when I told him Jim Rawnsley is an old friend and a possible referee. He tells me that Jim is in Jullundur at the moment discussing the twinning of the Indian city with Leeds.Poor Jim. I bet he hates it. Mrs Slocombe was straining to hear what Geoff and I were discussing. Bashed on until four and left in the sunshine. Home for 5.

I phoned Glynnie this morning. He says he's probably coming her on Wednesday and leaving on Friday. I arranged to collect my pay on Wednesday,  so that I'm not financially embarrassed during the royal visit. Ally came in at 5:10 and I already had the trussed chicken rotating in the oven. The spuds were peeled, veg washed, and Yorkshire puddings mixed.

Ally sat with the newspaper reading bits to me.  The infant daughter of Lord and Lady Romsey was christened Alexandra Victoria Edwina Diana at Romsey yesterday. The Princess of Wales stood sponsor. Two years ago the prince acted in a similar fashion at the dipping of the Romseys son, Nicholas. Ah yes, Nicholas and Alexandra, no doubt named after the last Tsar and Tsarina , close relations of earl Mountbatten. The Waleses go to the antipodes on Friday - all three of them. Read in the Sunday Telegraph that Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, is writing her autobiography and the first installment, in the paper, dealt with the eccentric Dukes of Buccleuch, who lived in far greater splendour than the monarch who became her father-in-law.

After our chicken feast we watched TV. Ken and Deirdre Barlow are back from Malta with a plan of action to prevent Ken becoming boring again. She ironed. I watched a Western starring Lee van Cleef.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...