20230927

Sunday August 14, 1983

 11th Sunday after Trinity

Linthorpe Hotel, Middlesbrough

Sundays are more relaxed and seem to me to be the only day that is any different from the others in this business. Hot, glorious day, but too busy. I worked in loung 1 and Ally in the kitchen. Nat King Cole on the juke box and a gentle breeze blowing through the garden door. At 2 we had chicken and sat with trays watching Clark Gable in 'China Seas'. Ally didn't like the noise and suggested we should begin a campaign to ban film music. Roy and Marie went off to a Greek wedding at 2:30 - Marie looking extremely nautical in a 'Lady Diana' sailor suit. We didn't go back to the bar until 8. I asked Roy where he originated from and I took a guess. I suggested Cheshire. No. Manchester, then? No. In fact he's from Chesterfield, the town of the crooked spire. A muscular guy in a string vest was leaning on the jukebox holding a stolen glass (from another pub). Roy asked him to leave and he made a grab for my tie. A close thing. Young Mike's car was pranged in the car park. I was later left in charge of the hotel but felt no undue strain from the heavy mantle of responsibility.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...