20231002

Friday September 30, 1983

 Why Not, Hemlington

I forgot to say but Lynn phoned on Wednesday afternoon and asked Ally to be Katie's godmother. We are very pleased. Ally was expecting such a call when Frances was born . The identity of the godfather or godfathers is a mystery. I expect John will fill the role. 'Clemmie' is going to have at least six. 

Came down at 8 and cleared the debris from last night's riot. The cleaners took it all in their stride, but we are told that nothing quite as violent has ever occurred previously. Francis O'Brien came and looked concerned. He estimates the damage at £650 (or Bob Walker does) which seems steep to me, but I expect they want to clobber the thugs with everything. A busy night. The place was full of ghouls all assessing the damage and talking about last night. Hemlington people are a special breed. I fear for Ally's safety and want her well away from Cleveland by Christmas. Christmas at the Why Not would be pure hell. JPH is 7 today.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...