20231002

Saturday October 1, 1983

 Why Not, Hemlington

Resign? Never.
October. Ally phoned the Linthorpe to tell Marie of our latest fracas. They are coming to see us tomorrow. Blustery, autumnal. Bernadette Low, the little mouse-like barmaid phoned to say she will not be coming in again. That's all right with me. Ally, jubilant, interviewed an 18 year-old athlete who answers to Clive. He starts on Tuesday. The nights grow dark early. Real tea and crumpet weather. I do so enjoy the changing seasons. Inspector Dale and Det Sgt Potts called in for a swift 12 pints of lager. Nicky Potts reassured me and asked me not to give my notice to Sam Smith's just yet. It had never crossed my mind to do so. It was deathly quiet in both bars. The ghouls have gone and we are now alone. The burglar alarm sounded at regular intervals throughout the night.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...