20231002

Monday October 3, 1983

 Why Not, Hemlington

Sam Smith’s have increased their beer prices. The price of a pint of Old Brewery bitter goes up to 55p from 52p. The shock drove customers away. At lunchtime we only took £50 from both bars combined. Very bad. Just three old men in a corner drinking bottles of nut brown ale. This will not do. Fran O'Brien phoned to ask how the weekend went. Ally went to the bank and the shops until 3. Jan, the village tart, was leaning on the bar asking the advice of a retired policeman on the subject of her son wetting the bed at 13. I'd be wetting my bed at 28 if Jan was my mother. Two couples came from Tadcaster to view the pub. Mr & Mrs Mott and Mrs & Mrs Devlin (?). The first couple didn't stay ten minutes, but the second stood at the bar all evening. They have been with Ben Truman's brewery for 6 years in the City of London and now want to move closer to home which is Pontefract. He is a rough diamond who blatantly asked me what fiddles I have managed to concoct. I told him I haven't 'fiddled', yet. He smiled and said I am 'green'. 'Whatever profits you make for the brewery always keep two or three hundred for yourself.' I can see Mr Devlin spending his declining years doing penal servitude. The place was busy and no staff came in until 8. Ally and I were dashing around like blue arsed flies. Ally did too much really. A ghastly, pushy, social-climbing customer named Pauline invited us to her birthday party on Saturday stressing, very loudly "I do not live on the council estate". Evidently she worked here under someone called Bedford and left under a cloud of suspicion and ridicule.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...