20260608

Thursday July 31, 1986

 Waltergarth, Horton-in-Ribblesdale

Waltergarth.
We woke up in a big, sweaty heap. Ally, Samuel and I in the same bed. It had been a rough night because Ally had to switch on the lights to feed Clementine, which woke Samuel who leapt from the bed and bounded around like a competitor in the Commonwealth Games. We went (Sam and I) to find Dad, who was cooking breakfast for his guests. To get out of mischief Sam and I went and poked around in the fireplace and got it blazing. Fire. How many hundreds of generations have stood in wonderment at the sight of a crackling, spitting new fire? We had our breakfast when the walkers left at 9 o'clock. The usual 'full-English'. I put a quotation by Virgil in Dad's visitors book which wasn't appreciated. 

"Begin, Baby boy: a child that has no smile for a parent will not be thought fit inviting for dinner by a God or taken by a Goddess to bed."

I took Samuel down to the river in a misty rain and we lobbed rocks into the grey waters under the bridge. Spent some time looking for a Troll. Bought Dad some bread (three loaves), and a Daily Telegraph for £2. Disgusting. We left at 1 and we were home before 3. Ally knackered. A health visitor came and injected Clementine, stabbing her in the foot which made her scream. Lambs liver a la Chernobyl for dinner. Collapsed tonight. Sneezy, &c. The beginnings of a cold? 'Minder'. Campari.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday March 21, 1987

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds LS11 5NQ As you have no doubt fathomed by now our plans to move from the Moorhouse have grounded on the rocks of apath...