20180417

Tuesday May 15, 1979

_. Had a headache this afternoon. A rarity for me. I am reminded of when I was an small child because on reflection my young boyhood was one of throbbing pain in the head. In fact, I was a sickly, little individual.

It was the State Opening of Parliament this morning. The Queen looks odd wearing spectacles and the Imperial State Crown. One would think HM might lay hands on contact lenses. As to the contents of the speech, I completely agree with Margaret's package. The budget is set for June 12, and the tax cuts will be revealed on that date. I am so happy about everything. The Labour party is now in chaos and disarray. Callaghan may still be the party leader, but for how long? Already we have Wedgwood Benn baying from the Left and to be honest I do hope he succeeds in his ambition to take the party leadership because who, at the next election, could cast a vote for Labour with the knowledge that Tony Benn could be put into No. 10? He has set Labours chances back 20 years.

Dave G phoned. He cannot make it to Alison's 21st at the weekend. To bed with Richard III. Fuming that  the BBC didn't show a re-run of the state opening in full in the evening, for the benefit of the masses at work. The pageant was of course televised live, but who could possibly be at home to watch other than a few under fives and the men on social security?

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday May 11, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn Ally's back ache is much the same. This is a worry because Mum has suffered with her back down the years. Childbearing is...