20181127

Wednesday July 4, 1979

_. Independence Day, USA.

Praise be to God. I've found my fountain pen. June bought it for me in April, 1973, and I've used it every day since. That was until I mislaid it last week.

What can have befallen the sweet June Bottomley? She became engaged to a large, flabby accountant and has probably disappeared into Shadwell and obscurity with two delightful children and a £9,500 mortgage. No doubt they have a caravan and go whenever possible to the Lake District. June will be dabbling in French at night school and attempting dressmaking because children's clothes are such a price these days, aren't they? And Horace, the husband, whatever his name is, will smoke ready rubbed tobacco, wear baggy Arran sweaters. Early in the relationship he bought a few Pink Floyd LPs but now he's into James Last and his Orchestra. "Oh, we saw him live in Manchester last Christmas. He's absolutely fantastic...."

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...