20190622

Wednesday September 5, 1979

_. Up at 10 for breakfast with Mum and Dad. At 10:20 the funeral of Earl Mountbatten was on the BBC. I don't think I remember ever been so moved by a TV programme. I sat on the sofa blinking and gulping back tears. The procession through the streets of London was executed with typical British brilliance. The Queen and Prince Philip looked ghastly. I suppose it was agonizing for them trying to remain composed. The Prince of Wales read the lessons. The hymns 'For those in peril on the Sea' and 'Jerusalem' were sung. The sight of the HMS Kelly reunion mob and the Royal British Legion lads with heads bowed brought a lump to the throat.__________.

Later we sat in the garden, ate salad sandwiches and gulped tea, and reflected on the horrid, nasty world we live in.

To the YP from 5 until 10:30. Wendy is having an affair with a spotty young man from the machine room. She's old enough to remember Wayne Fontana, and fish and chips at 9d. Home on a bus.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...