20200410

Sunday January 20, 1980

_.2nd Sunday after Epiphany

Ally was up and off to Bradford at 9:30. I got up to a grilled breakfast and the Sunday Observer.
John Rhodes

John, Dad's brother, phoned to say he's home from Lanzarote for a few weeks. I spoke to him and he told me of his stomach ulcer and the hideous Christmas in the Canaries. He issued a royal command calling Mum & Dad to Halifax on Tuesday for dinner with Arnold and Janet.

Mum, Dad and I decided to go out for the afternoon. This proved far more complex and serious than you could possibly imagine. Dad never makes a decision, particularly on Sundays, and the one sided discussion went on far into the afternoon. We went first to Lidget Green and gathered up Ally and then on to St James's Crescent to see Hilda and Tony. We laughed at Tony's long, trailing pullover. Tony got out the old Wilson family Bible and I found a childhood picture of myself sandwiched in the middle of the ancient pages, placed there by my grandmother who died in 1957.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...