20200421

Tuesday March 11, 1980

_. Jennie brought a magic set with her on the journey to Leeds this morning, and so we, her captured audience in the car, endured a Paul Daniels-like display. You know the sort I mean. Card tricks, and under which cup will you find the ball. Jim was so proud of her. The glow of pride on his face was so reminiscent of the shining adoration Winifred Wagner had for Adolf Hitler. Blinded by devotion. I do sincerely hope that when my time comes I will not be blinded by the faults and blemishes of my offspring.

YP uneventful. Lynne Bateson was very kind and tactful on the subject of Ally vomiting on her continental quilt last weekend. Lynne denies suffering any inconvenience because of it. I cannot help thinking that she is just being very kind. Anyway, I have invited her to Club St on April 5, and so she can seek vengeance there if she wishes.

A letter from Maria includes a couple of pages of scribble from JPH. The little lad is obsessed with lists, and I think he may have been severely influenced by the numerous shopping lists he's observed his mother writing. Dad collided with Molly somewhere in Guiseley today and she reminded him that Maria and the children and coming back to Yorkshire for Easter, without John. This means John will miss my 'silver jubilee' birthday party.

Good television this evening. A documentary on Graham Sutherland, the artist, whose painting of Winston so 'delighted' Winnie and Clem back in the 50s - not. The chap is obsessed by thorns and holes in drystonewalls. At 11:30 - an interview with Kingman Brewster, the US Ambassador to the Court of St James's. A excellent speaker. I decided that he should get on the next plane to Washington and put himself forward as a candidate in the coming presidential election. Surely, a better alternative to Ronald Reagan?

To bed at 12 o'clock.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...