20230911

Wednesday June 29, 1983

 We had porridge for breakfast which seems a strange idea for the month of June. I sat down and wrote to the prime minister commending her on the reinstating of the hereditary peerage.  As I bashed at the typewriter in walked Dave B and I gave him a coffee. He was chatty and asked about our training with Sam Smiths. He says that Frances asked her mum: "is Auntie Ally going to have a baby?" When Lynn said 'yes' Frances quipped "Oh I used to be one of them." David went on to a meeting in Oldham and I went out to post my letter. The news reveals that Michael Foot wants 20 new Labour peers. It is customary for the leader of the opposition to get about 6 or 7 in dissolution honours.

I racked wine and tasted most of it. Found it dreadful. Wimbledon on TV. I must admit I find I can watch tennis where I have never been able to do before. McEnroe beat Mayer with no tantrums. Made a cottage pie for Ally's return. The poor girl had spent the afternoon showing the ropes to her replacement.We ate in front of the TV. In two weeks all this will change. So looking forward to life at the Linthorpe. We retired at 10 and I was just opening Jane Eyre when the phone rang. It was Lynn babbling away. Mum and Dad have been down and are at John's for dinner. We're on the agenda next time.

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...