20240821

Saturday September 1, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds

We went shopping to town which was revoltingly busy. What fools we are. Afterwards we drove to Guiseley to see baby Thomas. I was close to collapse with hunger and stopped for fish and chips en route. We bought some (just for me) and Ally drove along whilst I ate them in the car. Samuel began to yelp with hunger too, and Ally was swerving all over the road helping herself to chunks of my hot, tempting fried fish. At Thorpefields we were herded together in the dining room. The lounge, or sitting room, is now declared 'out of bounds'. Frances and Katie were having hysterics about having to wear matching kilts, presents from Chris and Julie. I don't blame them. Kilts should only ever be worn by Scotsmen. I am very clear cut about this. They gossip. John has bought a £4,000 car. I hope this doesn't affect our Lanzarote plans. I held the baby. He makes Samuel look like a giant. You should see Samuel sitting in his car seat. Hi sits like the Queen Mother in a state landau. Enchanting. Just Mavis in tonight. So tiny, like the figure on a wedding cake.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday October 8, 1984

 Moorhouse Inn, Leeds Columbus Day, USA / Thanksgiving Day Canada Stand well back, I have a cold. Not a cold exactly, but my throat is dry, ...