20200409

Monday January 14, 1980

_. A wet, grizzly day. Phoned Ally at 8am primarily to ensure she was out of bed but I suspect I just wanted to hear her voice. I didn't say much because I could see Jim R making moves two doors away and I wanted a lift to Leeds. Graham and Charlotte took Ally to the opera, and yes, Elizabeth Harwood's voice is knackered. I did warn her.  She, with the Smiths, lunched at Lynn's yesterday but didn't stay late, having little petrol in the car.

Jimmy Carter
At the office Sarah was very quiet about my 'illness' on Friday. Spent an hour on a query for Chris Oakley, on the US presidential elections which are upon us again this year. My opinion has changed over the past few weeks. Kennedy is doomed. Yes, a definite non runner. Carter I think now stands a very good chance. I know this is a reversal of what I've said in the past but all this bother with Iran and now the Afghanistan situation has been a boost to Carter. The man has done nothing to secure the release of the hostages, but you know how people always rally in a crisis.

Home at 6. Soup and salad. Quarrel with Mother. Watched TV. 'Blake's 7', and a Tuesday Weld film about a child killer.

The house plants are all dying because of the intolerable heat in the house. It's like an inferno.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...