20200411

Wednesday January 30, 1980

Regicide: 1649
_. King Charles I  waved goodbye to his head on the balcony at the Palace of Whitehall 331 years ago today. I am sure that no one had the right to commit such an act upon the anointed sovereign, and by way of protest I always date Charles II's reign from 1649 instead of 1660 when the restoration occurred. The King is dead, long live the King, and all that.

At 5pm I scrounged a lift with Carol J to Kirkstall Forge, where I managed to find a seat on a West Yorkshire bus, a rare and wonderful thing these days.

Tonight I studied the letters in 'The Times'. One from an old geezer with a sense of humour who suggested that since we are to have no Olympic Games this year it would probably be a good idea for a 'pools panel' to sit like they do when soccer matches are not played.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...