20200511

Wednesday April 23, 1980

_. St George's Day

Sarah was very miserable today and out of humour. She told me in confidence, and with sagging features, that both her 'chaps' have deserted her. She hasn't seen Richard Burke since the naughty film show at Pine Tops, and the inter galactic rugby league star, John Holmes, hasn't contacted her since he went to Ireland for a few days last week. She snapped that she couldn't possibly attend Eileen's leaving do because she would be the only single reveller. How very childish of her.

St George's Day, &c. The BBC made a contribution to our saint's day by showing Shakespeare's 'Henry V' - I haven't seen it before. Mum and Dad sat in silence throughout the pageant.

The Queen created two new Knights of the Garter today. Sir Richard Hull, a general, and former Lord Lieutenant for Devon, and Sir Keith Holyoake, Governor-General of New Zealand. They fill the vacancies in the order brought about by the deaths of Earl Mountbatten and Sir Gerald Templar.

'Coronation Street' has reached a fever pitch of excitement. I will not discuss the antics of Len Fairclough here, but I thought I'd let you know that I do look in occasionally at the endless round of soap operas churned out by the broadcasting authorities.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...