20200601

Monday July 14, 1980

_.Bastile Day

I'm going to be brief. Painted at West End Terrace again. Ally joined in the glossing marathon. The kitchen is almost finished and the house, at last, is nearly ready for habitation.

At home our TV is going funny. It's only a week old.

Ian Appleyard, my old schoolfriend, is 25 today. I recall a July 14 about ten years ago when Mr G.P. Illingworth, the headmaster at Guiseley Secondary School, asked the morning assembly what occurred of importance on this day in history. Amidst roars of laughter Ian put his hand up and said: 'yes, it's my birthday, Sir'.

Old Percy had wanted someone to say that upon this day in 1789 the revolting peasants stormed the Bastile, which triggered the French Revolution.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...