20200612

Saturday August 23, 1980

_. Up at 11 and straight on the blower to Ally to discuss the agenda for the day. Rock with horror when she informed me that she is doing the nauseating Mrs Stringer  'a favour' by working both day and night at the Belfry. Evidently, a deaf and dumb couple are being joined in Holy Matrimony, and clearly deaf and dumb nuptials take precedence over my entertainment. Ally is very gifted and can no doubt hold a tray of 'welcome' drinks and perform sign language at the same time. I left the conversation shocked and disturbed.

I took up a copy of the late Joyce Grenfell's biography and read. This was the sum of my day.

Rathbone as Richard III.
Tonight Mama and Papa went to Joe and Anne Grunwell's, leaving me with Joyce Grenfell on paper, and Basil Rathbone as Richard III on film, and a 1938 film at that. Far from satisfactory.

John and Maria were on the phone from Lochans. I answered the call and an appealing voice said: 'Hi'. I replied: 'Hello, JPH.' Long pause, and I said: 'You don't know who this is, do you?' He replied: 'Of course I do, Christopher.' I asked my nephew about Catherine, to which he replied in a Scottish tones: 'She's away to her bed. She's only a wee baby.' Surely, an amazing child.

To bed at 1:45am.

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...