20210228

Saturday September 5, 1981

 _. Extremely hot. Ally went off to Catherine's at 10:30 and I made my way to St Cuthbert's Church at Heaton, at 11:30, and sat alone in the church. 

It was my first experience of a Roman Catholic wedding and Mass. Bridesmaid Ally looked like a peach, and I got a smile from her as she passed down the aisle following Miss Brook. Hard to believe she had been up most of the night supping with her in-laws. Roman Catholicism is so unwholesome. It looks fine in Turin or Castel Gandolfo, but seems a little out of place in Bradford. 

We prayed for Pope John Paul. I do not object to that - he's a likeable old stick. The Irish priest went on and on, but at about 1pm Ally [clutching her bouquet] and I were taken away in something like a Peugeot to Steeton and the Currergate Hotel. Hot there and no good really because Ally was on the top table and I was with a party of comedians. Occasionally I caught Ally's eye and we beamed. I was partnered with a Miss Binns, in a pretty blue frock, who, because of the heat, became faint, and escaped to the garden, leaving her turkey sitting on the table. Sweat poured off me. A vast 'wedding breakfast' consisted of asparagus soup, a fish in mushroom sauce, then roast turkey followed by a fruit salad.

The Curregate Hotel.
We had drinks in the garden afterwards and declined an invitation to an after party in Riddlesden, and came home at 6:30. Sue and Pete were there waiting for us. Sue is bigger, of course, but well. Peter was great fun. We went to the Reservoir pub on Daisy Hill, and then to fish and chip shop [for the Nasons, not for us], and then to Mucky Willies. Sue wants to call the baby Benjamin, but Peter doesn't approve. She is also fond of the name Paul, or Katie or Clare for a girl. We were home by 10pm. In two hours we had only managed 2 drinks.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...