20220525

Tuesday June 22, 1982

 The family tree I created for the EP back in March to commemorate the visit to Leeds by TRH the P & P of Wales was published in all its glory in this evening's EP. Fame at long last.

Ally and I went to Pudsey tonight at sat in the devastation of Wilsby drinking fizzy sherry and watching a World Cup football match. It's the 18th birthday of Paul [Edwards]. Out to the Beaulah, a pub near Tong. An unimpressive hole full of people devouring pork pies and mushy peas. Very disconcerting. The talk centred on John and Maria. Mainly rubbish and slop. Steve told ne the tale of a soldier friend who slashed his wrists becauser he couldn't keep up the payments to his straying wife. Very nice, I must say. Karen was drinking cocktails, all very reminiscent of Brideshead Revisited.  Hilda says the infant prince will be Alexander. 

Back at Wilsby I had a row with Paul's hideous little father, a Militant leftist. He began by asking me why I'd begun my published family with Henry VII at the top. I said it was as good a place to start as any. He let rip saying the royal family are parasites, and that the Queen is a 'rubber stamp'. Here we go. I did try to remain objective and attempted to walk away, but could not. He then introduced the Falklands into the argument, along with Ben Ford, the MP for Bradford North, and Wedgwood Benn's sanity, or lack of it. Eventually, with much spluttering he told me to 'piss off'. He couldn't have done better because this really played into my hands. Those in the lower intelligence bracket nearly always resort to abuse when all is lost. A grotty night.

Jill was fun and Tim remains crippled. Tony still clinging to his Liberal party. Mrs Edwards looked very reminiscent of a Coronation Street character, but twice as rough.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...