20220525

Monday June 21, 1982

 Longest Day - New Moon

At the YP I sat glumly looking at the Guardian. Feeling dull after the festivities of yesterday. Stephanie Ferguson came in and asked quite calmly to which hosiptal they have taken the Princess of Wales. What could she possibly mean? My curiosity very much aroused. Action stations. Early editions of the EP say the baby will be born this evening. I left at 4:45 and fully expected to find a gleeful Ally at home with royal news. However, no change. Disappointed newscasters throughout the evening missed out on making the historic announcement, which came at a few minutes to 10. The Princess of Wales gave birth to a son at 9:03pm at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington. I hoped that the birth would take place at the palace. So tremendously relieved that it's a prince which finally kills Michael English's dreadful succession bill. This 7lb 1 and a half ounce child will, God willing, be reigning in these Isles at the close of my days. We had a gin to celebrate. Mum phoned. To bed after 12 after watching the Prince of Wales leaving the hospital looking very much like the proud father.

-=-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...