20220630

Sunday August 1, 1982

 8th Sunday after Trinity

So-called Yorkshire Day. Up with the larks. Ally managed to last out for the whole day. I hung polystyrene lining paper over the bare walls and before long we were cocooned inside a dazzling white sponge. Bessie phoned. She has a new car the colour of Cashmir [sic]. Does Kashmir begin with K? 

We are to have a 'Thursday Night' session on Thursday. It is quite difficult to have a Thursday night session on a Friday. I phoned Hilda and asked if she and Tony would be the 'star' guests. Much diary consulting was done and eventually I could hear Tony shouting: "I'm free". Thursday might be a good opportunity to move the piano. My maternal grandmother, Levinyer Wilson, could move a piano from room to room, quite unaided, at St James's Crescent when the whim took her. Not so much will-power as manpower. She weighed 16 stones.

We sat cuddling this afternoon swilling lager and moving books from the bookcase to the bedroom. Ate fish at 8. At 9 we watched Marilyn Monroe in 'Some Like It Hot'. She died 20 years ago next week. Ally thinks that she [Marilyn] is fat and revolting. I must admit that the ideal and desirable figure for a woman was different in the 1950s than today.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...