20231009

Wednesday November 2, 1983

 The Why Not, Hemlington

We went to the Linthorpe which was packed and seething (sic) for lunch. Marie gave us dismal pork chops. We sat with them in the dining room and they told us tales of the Duncan in Leeds, I think to cheer us up. Not that we are depressed in any way. Marie is full of cold. We were joined by a policeman who looked like the Invisible Man from that old 1940s film. He had a face completely bandaged. Roy joked about my hair which is getting longer. I do have hair dark, rich and glossy. It's a Rhodes characteristic. My great-grandfather John Rhodes was similarly blessed. Back to the Why Not after 2. Her Majesty unveiled a statue of Earl Mountbatten  in London today. Saw it on the news. His murder was the crime of the century.

-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday May 19, 1984

A warm, gentle day. Ally and I took off to town with Samuel at 1pm. We didn't take the pram and I carried baby for two hours, by the end...